What is automated copying
Unique information is a target for competitors, intermediaries and intruders. The databases of
online services for cartography and navigation systems, product characteristics in Internet shops as
well as advertisements on digital trading platforms are particularly popular. However, manual
copying of content is costly, exhausting and unproductive.
The automated download (web scraping) systems of content are developed and used to save time and
resources. The specifically configured software performs website crawling – it automatically
downloads the web pages, analyzes the content, finds the links to other sections and recursively
copies the entire content of the website.
What problems are generated by automated copying of content
- Attacked websites are deprived of unique content and lose their positions in the organic search
- Automatic correction of stolen texts makes it difficult to find duplicates even with the help of
- Automatic downloading of data creates a serious parasitic load; it disrupts the stable operation
of the website and may lead to a denial of service to legitimate visitors.
- An automatically created copy of the website can be used for phishing attacks when by using
authorization forms, intruders steal en masse users’ account data.
Who is at risk for automated web scraping
Companies create, maintain and regularly update databases of their own resources. Considerable costs
are invested in these projects, which will pay off in due time and bring pure profit in the future.
This relates in particular to the following:
- Information services – documentary, factual and lexicographical databases.
- Navigational and cartographic services – working layers, cartographic basis, satellite photos
and other official documents.
- Internet shops – personal information, personal data, goods items, prices of goods etc.
Therefore, owners and rights holders are interested in using technical methods that can completely
eliminate or limit the possibility of automated copying of information through open Internet
Content protection methods
Legal methods of protection against web scraping have limited abilities. Copying of information from
public sources is not as legally protected as is copying and use of personal data by the Directive
95/46/EC. For that reason, technological methods of protection of information from copying are also